Crucible은 FishEye 의 모든 기능을 포함하고, 추가로 코드 변경사항을 쉽게 리뷰하고 리뷰내용을 댓글로 만들고 그 결과를 저장 관리하는 기능을 포함하는 제품입니다.
Crucible은 코드 리뷰를 쉽게 하도록 도와주는 도구입니다.
만약, 이미 코드 리뷰에 대한 검사 과정을 가진 조직에서 Crucible을 도입한다면 더욱 가치있을 것입니다.
정기적인 2인 코드리뷰(peer review)는 ROI (투자대비 실적)을 보증하는 증명된 작업입니다.
얻을 수 있는 장점은 팀마다 다소 다를 수 있지만 일반적으로 다음의 효과를 얻을 수 있습니다.:
- Identifying bugs and defects early.
- Sharing expertise and encouraging knowledge transfer.
- Improving system-wide knowledge.
- Encouraging adherence to internal standards and style conventions.
- Identifying individual strengths and weaknesses.
One of the less apparent, but nonetheless important, benefits that comes from a transparent code review process is that quality improves simply from the knowledge that code may be critically reviewed. Developers take more care with style, readability, comments, and commit-messages because their peers are going to see them.
Despite these and many other clear benefits, code review is often seen as 'impractical on time sensitive projects', 'only valuable in large teams working on mission critical applications', or at worst 'a total waste of time foisted on developers by management'. Formal code review can feel like an expensive use of time, because the review process can:
- Be burdened by excessive paperwork and other administration.
- Interrupt your current task and make you less productive.
- Include meetings where participants fail to prepare, so that the meeting becomes a walkthrough rather than a critical review.
- Become an ego battle or point-scoring exercise dominated by a vocal minority.
These issues do not affect the immense potential value of code review. They are simply problems with some review processes.
Crucible's mission is to streamline the process aspects so development teams can access the benefits. Crucible achieves this by:
- Making reviews asynchronous.
- Bringing reviewing to your desk (wherever that might be).
- Eliminating most of the administration.
- Limiting the ability for individuals to dominate the dialogue.
- Providing an archival record of reviews.
Crucible increases the quality, quantity, and frequency of code reviews thereby reducing bugs, helping knowledge sharing and fundamentally improving system quality.
Visit the Crucible Feature Tour to understand how Crucible can benefit you.
You can run Crucible with a FishEye-compatible source code repository set up, such as CVS, Subversion, or Perforce. For more information, please read the FishEye documentation.
Read the Installation Guide to get started quickly.
For Crucible troubleshooting, see the FAQ.